My Music (updated 10/05/10)


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

How Mitey are you?


Basking in my solace which I call home, afterwork, I made the mistake of glancing at Fox New's report on creatures that live with us. I stayed up to see what all the commotion was all about on the tv screen and to my surprise, my eyes were open! Dust mites, yes, our very own Dermatophagoides farinae are just about everywhere. In the pillows where we sleep, in our mattresses, carpets, etc. All the millions and billions of them are on the look out ready to nibble on our dead skin, like a fat boy ready to stick his mouth into a crunchy Taco! Ok, Ok, skipping my descriptive tendencies I will inform you on some particulars that I've done some research on.

  • For Some people dust mites cause asthma and allergies. Dust mites might contribute to 50-80% of asthmatics.
  • Nearly 100k mites can live in one sq. yard of carpet.
  • Beds are prime habitats accomodating anywhere from 100k-10 million mites.
  • One single mite can produce approximately 20 droppings per day that spark allergic reactions.
  • Dust mites can result in symptoms of headaches, fatigue, and depression.
  • You think we're bad? Our pets are worse.

As you can expect, pyschologically, I freaked myself out. Fox news also reported that mites are a cause for lack of sleep. Ya, as you can predict, I didn't sleep more than two hours straight the next two nights. I kept on imagining how many bugs I had in my bed; I kept on imagining these bugs rolling around my eyelashes and springboarding into my ears. So, my question is this? How mitey are you? And how can you decrease the "mitey" populations and avoid allergic reactions? Don't be lazy and open the link!! Get grossed out link

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

kinda gives a whole new meaning to don't let the bed bugs bite!
tanya